3/426 Private Kenneth Munro  New Zealand Medical Corps
Kenneth Munro was born on 12th April 1887 in the small Scottish village of Nigg, Ross Shire. It is unknown when he
came to New Zealand or who he travelled with but when he enlisted he listed IN 1914 his recruitment documents
record his father at Dalgeight Farm, Inverness and a Miss Jessie Munro, Newmarket, Auckland[i] as his next of kin.
Kenneth was working as a medical attendant at Porirua Mental Hospital when he and eight other colleagues[ii]  enlisted
in the Mounted Ambulance, New Zealand Medical Corp on 21st October 1914.
Following training 3/426 Private Munro left for Egypt on 14th December 1914 with the 2nd Reinforcements Medical Corps. In March 1915 Private Munro was attached to the 1st Field Company of the New Zealand Engineers. Also attached
to the New Zealand Engineers as medical personnel was Major McKillop who had been Private Munro’s superintendant at Porirua Hospital.
Private Munro landed at ANZAC Cove on 25th April 1915. His military records are vague but indicate he was wounded on 3rd May 1915. Private Munro remained at Gallipoli until 13th September 1915 when he was admitted to the 16th Casualty Clearing station with influenza. This resulted in his evacuation to Imbros[iii] Greek Islands, returning to ANZAC Cove in October 1915.
Following the final evacuation of the Gallipoli Peninsular he was attached to the No 2 Field Ambulance which was moved
to France in 1916 for service on the Western Front. Private Munro spent the remaining three years on the Western Front being promoted through the ranks to Sergeant. In October 1918 Sergeant Munro was granted two months extended
leave until December 1918. He was entitled to this leave following the four years, he had served with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (NZEF). 
Following the signing of the Armistice in November 1918, New Zealand authorities began to repatriate troops with
Sergeant Monro leaving England in April 1919. He was finally discharged on 13th May 1919 returning to civilian life and
to work as a medical attendant at Porirua Hospital.
Kenneth Munro moved to Christchurch as his medals were sent to him at the Sunnyside Hospital in 1923.
Kenneth married Eva Lemming in 1925. Eva’s brother 12/1533 Private George Lemming had been killed on
25th April 1915, the first day of the Gallipoli landings.
Kenneth Munro died in Christchurch in 1963.
Archway Archives New Zealand: 3/426 Private Kenneth Munro
Paperspast online
NZ BDM online

​Anzac Cover April 1915 
[i] Archway Archives New Zealand - Military Records: 3/426 Private Kenneth Munro
[ii] Evening Post 17 October 1914 - List of men selected – Ambulance:  H Alexander*, A Foley*, H Foster*, H Heath*, K Munro, P S Roots*, W Skinner*, A H Topham, F W Walsh*  (* Played for the Hospital Association Football team)    
[iii] Imbros Island off Gallipoli held by the Greeks
ANZAC Landings  April 1915