Boer War
SA7470 Trooper Edward Stanley Morgan – 9th Contingent, New Zealand Mounted Rifles 
Edward Stanley Morgan was born on 5th May 1881, the fourth of five sons and eighth child in a family of 10 children born to Matilda and Thomas Morgan.[i]
The Morgan family had arrived in Wellington, New Zealand in 1842 on the ‘Birman’ and then moved out to farm in the Takapau Valley, Tawa Flat. Edward Stanley and his siblings were born in the Takapau Valley and later attended the Tawa Flats School.
On the 26th July 1902 Edward Stanley Morgan had travelled to Auckland and signed his attestation papers to join the North Island Battalion, 9th Contingent, New Zealand Mounted Rifles for service in South Africa. Also in Auckland to attest were his older brother Henry and George Valentine Corlet from Johnsonville. Edward’s papers note that he was a farmer working for his father and that he had black hair and a dark complexion.[ii]  The three men, SA7423 Corporal Corlet, SA7469 Lance Corporal Henry Morgan and SA7470 Trooper Edward Stanley Morgan, sailed from Auckland the 20th March 1902. The 9th Contingent saw limited actions as peace was signed on the 31st May 1902. However Lieutenant Robert McKeich of the 9th, had the misfortune of being the last New Zealander killed in combat when he was shot in a confrontation with three Boers four days after the official surrender.[iii]
The men of 9th Contingent, including Edward and his brother Henry, sailed back to New Zealand leaving South Africa in July 1902. Also return to New Zealand was the 10th Contingent and Edward and Henry’s younger brother SA8840 Trooper David Gibson Morgan.
Trooper Edward Morgan was discharged ‘on completion of service’ on 26th August 1902 and was awarded the Kings South Africa Medal with clasps, 1902 and Transvaal. The discharge paper noted that Edward’s character was good and that he was returning to Tawa Flat.
Thomas Morgan, Edward’s father, sold the Takapau Valley farm
in 1907 and moved up to Levin and Edward moved with the
family to farm in the area. In 1916 Edward Stanley Morgan
was again in Khaki.  enlisting on 8th February 1916 entering
Trentham camp as 22833 Private Morgan, F Company,
13th Reinforcements, New Zealand Expeditionary Force.[iv]
Edward is listed as a 35 year old single man, a farmer from
Levin, with his next of kin his mother Matilda Morgan also from
Edward Stanley Morgan c1916 – (notes)
Private Morgan sailed for overseas service on the 27th May
1916 as Rifleman Morgan, F Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th
Reinforcements, New Zealand Rifle Brigade. Private Morgan
arrived in England on 27th July 1916 and was marched into
Sling Camp for training. One month latter Rifleman Morgan
was sent to France and then on 9th September 1916 attached
to the New Zealand Pioneer Battalion.  The Pioneer Battalion
acted in support the New Zealand Division which entered the
Battle of the Somme on the 12th September 1916.
In the opening phases of the battle, on the 13th September 1916,  Private
Morgan was slightly wounded and was sent to the rear for
treatment returning to his unit four days later. Private Morgan
remained with the Pioneers until he was evacuated sick on the
4th December 1916. The Pioneers had been continuously working in cold, wet and extremely muddy conditions on the Western Front. Private Morgan was one of many men evacuated from the front with chest complaints.
Private Morgan was evacuated by the No1 NZ Field Ambulance to the 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Station (CCS) where he was diagnosed with Lobar Pneumonia and on the 7th December 1916 removed from the front by the train to
Boulogne where he was admitted to the 3rd Canadian General Hospital. Private Morgan was stabilised, assessed and on the 17th December 1916, sent by hospital ship to England. Private Morgan was admitted to the No 2 NZ General Hospital, Walton on Thames where he remained until April 1917 when he was sent to the NZ Convalescent Hospital at Hornchurch. In Hornchurch Private Morgan was assessed by a medical board where they agreed he was suffering from Broncho-Pneumonia and Chronic Bronchitis. It is noted in the report that Private Morgan had suffered bronchitis while serving in South Africa War and suffered attacks every winter. The decision of the medical board that was that Private Morgan was permanently unfit for service and should be returned to New Zealand and discharged.
On 26th April 1917 Private Morgan left England on the RMS Tainui arriving in New Zealand on 7th July 1917 and following some hospital treatment and leave was discharged on 14th September 1917 as ‘no longer physically fir for war service
on account of pre-existent disability aggravated by war service.’
Edward returned to farming at Levin where he remained for the rest of his life. Edward’s death was reported to the NZDF as Levin, 28th April 1957.[v]
For his South Africa War service Edward was awarded the Kings South Africa Medal with date clasp 1902 and provincial clasp  Traansvaal, for his World War One service the British War Medal and Victory Medal. 
The photo is unattributed but listed as Edward Stanley Morgan and matches the features of 22833 Private Morgan
Papers Past Online
Archway Archives New Zealand – Military Files; SA7470 Trooper Edward Stanley Morgan
Archway Archives New Zealand- Military Files: 22833 Private Edward Stanley Morgan
NZ Units in South Africa 1899-1902: NZ History Online
Background and Text Edward Stanley Morgan: Familysearch.org
[i] Births 1881/3005 : Births, Deaths & Marriages Online
[ii] Archway Archives New Zealand – Military Files: SA7470 Trooper Edward Stanley Morgan
[iii] 9th Contingent - NZ Units in South Africa 1899 – 1902: NZ History online
[iv] Archway Archives New Zealand – Military Files: 22833 Private Edward Stanley Morgan
[v][v] Archway Archives New Zealand – Military Files: 22833 Private Edward Stanley Morgan 
Private Edward William Morgan c 1917