42959 Gunner (Archie) Archibald Greig - New Zealand Field Artillery

David Aloysius Greig was born in Scotland in 1873 and came to New Zealand as an infant. In 1895 David married Sarah Elizabeth Kennedy from a Rangitikei, Christchurch farming family and like David was of Scottish descent and had come
to New Zealand as a young child.

David and Sarah were living the Timaru area when their first son (Archie) Archibald Greig was born on the 16th August 1896. The couple had 10 children with five sons and five daughters. Two of the younger girls were born in Pauatahanui
but in 1908 Constance May Greig died, aged 8 days.[i]

The Greig family moved possibly first into the Judgeford area of Pauatahanui in 1903/04 as the two older Greig children, Agnes and Archie are listed as attending Judgeford school in 1904.[ii] Later the family moved to farm close to Motukaraka Point, Pauatahanui and the Greig children, Agnes, Archie, David, Ellen Scott and Margaret all started at Pauatahanui School in 1909.

In 1916 Archie enlisted for service in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (NZEF) and entered Trentham Camp on the
1st January 1917 with the 25th Reinforcements, New Zealand Field Artillery. The enlistment papers note that his next of
kin was his mother Mrs S Greig,  c/o Post Office, Pauatahanui. Archie is listed as living at Fort Ballance, Wellington where
he was a volunteer member of the 5th Company, Garrison Artillery.[iii] Archie is noted as a tradesman working as
mechanic for Le Grove Company, Wellington. Le Grove advertised as typewriting and stationary equipment sellers.

42959 Gunner Archibald Greig sailed from New Zealand on the 28th April 1917 as a member of the 24th Reinforcements, New Zealand Field Artillery (NZFA) reaching England in July 1917 where he was sent to the NZFA training unit at Chadderton. The large numbers of young men in crowded conditions often led to outbreaks of disease and Gunner Greif was hospitalised on the 21st August 1917 with measles. Gunner Greig was released after a month but later, in November 1917, he was admitted to the No 3 New Zealand General Hospital with a viral infection and it was not until March 1918
that he was sent to France and the Western Front.[iv]

Gunner Greig was posted to the 9th Battery, 2nd Brigade and remained in France until the end of the war and his repatriation, via England, in June 1919.

Gunner Greig was discharged on the 21st July 1919 on ‘the termination of his period of engagement.’

In August 1919 the Evening Post carried a report on the return of eight soldiers,
residents of the Pauatahanui District:[v]

​Return of Servicemen 1919 

Example of Maltese Cross this one presented
to 35823 Trooper Leonard Stephen Jones 

It is not known if Archie returned to his trade as a mechanic, his medals were sent to him in 1920 at Annedale Station, Tinui, Masterton.[v]

In 1933 Archie married Margaret Mary Brown.[vi]
Archie died on the 25th March 1966, his death was reported to the Defence Department by Margaret Mary Greig ,
Princess Street, Porirua.

The historic spelling of Pauatahanui has been used in newspaper items from the day

Pauatahanui – A local history (Pauatahanui Residents Association 2013) Helen Reilly
Papers Past Online
NZ Births, Deaths and Marriages Online
Archway Archives New Zealand Military Files: 42959 Gunner Archibald Greig

Maltese Cross: Jones Family 

[i]  Deaths notice Ewvening Post
[ii] Pauatahanui School Rolls
[iii]Archway Archives New Zealand - Military Files: 42959 Gunner Archibald Greig
[iv]Archway Archives New Zealand - Military Files: 42959 Gunner Archibald Greig
[v]​ Return of Servicemen, August 1919, Evening Post
[vi]​ NZ BDM 

18 Pounder in Action at Beaussart - 1918